Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Agates: A WaterFind from Diana


Most of my life I have found agates. In the glacial moraine of my childhood haunts in the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia, I found them on the stony beach of Osoyoos Lake, still in their shell of lava rock so that to be admired, they had to be cut by the local lapidary with his powerful saw. In my adulthood, I have been delighted to find well worn specimens on the saltwater beaches around Victoria. These show their colours immediately, having been eroded to their core over the millenia they have spent being tumbled by nature on the shore of Vancouver Island.
They are all different shapes and sizes and colours, and I always feel so blessed when I find a new one. Two are so similar in size and colour it is amazing. I found them on our local beach 3 years apart and had them made into earrings for Robin for her birthday one year. They are shown here resting on some of their cousins from the same beach. The most recent find was the day after Loki, our 15 year old hound, died. We were taking one of his favourite walks, when a huge one with strange markings, appeared at my feet. It was definitely a sign for me that he was still with us in spirit, just laughing at us as we walked his beach yet again.
Learn more about agates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home